Free School Meals
Free School Meals (FSM) are available to people who are classed as unemployed and receiving a qualifying benefit. However they are not available automatically.
The parent, guardian or student needs to complete an application and return it to the school or the FSM office at County Hall. An application cannot be made retrospectively, the FSM process is a set criteria and there is no appeals process.
Children who receive Income Support(IS) or Income Based Jobseekers Allowance (IBJSA) in their own right are also entitled to claim free meals under the same application process.
If a child attends school or the parent/guardian resides in Northumberland the applicant can apply to Northumberland Authority for free school meals.
Refunds for free school meals are only made in exceptional circumstances. These are handled on an individual basis by the school.
How do I apply for free school meals?
You can apply either by:
- Apply online
- over the telephone on FSM 01670 623592
- completing a paper application form which is available from the school or FSM Office, Northumberland County Council County Hall Morpeth NE61 2EF
- Receive Income Support(IS) or Income-based Job Seekers Allowance (IBJSA).
- Receive Income Related Employment Allowance (IREA).
- Have an entitlement to Child Tax Credit (CTC), but not Working Tax Credit (WTC) and the family's annual income (as assessed by the Inland Revenue) is not more than £16,190 for tax year 2012/2013(this figure changes on an annual basis).
- Receive support under part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999.
- Receive the guarantee credit element of Pension Credit
- Free milk - in First or Special school milk at break-time will be free for the time the child is entitled to free school meals. The child's school will make the appropriate arrangements for the free milk.
- Help with music tuition and instruments - Parents can claim a refund of £3.00 per session from the costs when 7 of the 10 classes have be attended by the student. The child's school will make the appropriate arrangements for this service.
- Help with curriculum related residential trips or school visits - The child's school will make the appropriate arrangements for this service.